In today’s day and age, if you’re not searching, watching, learning, discovering, or uploading video, you are not up to date on some of the most popular social media outlets in the world. Being a part of video sharing websites means that you are aware of one of the most successful ways of communication available currently. In fact, most people who know how to use a computer know how to access video-sharing sites.
If you were to ask a roomful of students to define what YouTube is, the entire class could explain it on the spot. If you followed up that question by asking, “Can anyone tell me what QuickTime is?” you would, most likely, get a group of raised eyebrows from the students and a less than mediocre answer.
Why is this?
QuickTime is a computer’s audio and video file standard format that was once the biggest innovation in the video world. Though still used on computers now, QuickTime has been replaced by video sharing websites. Today, YouTube is one of the most popular video sharing websites in the world. Not only does YouTube provide the option for people to create a social media portfolio in a quick and easy way, but it’s also free, helps with SEO, and gives extensive media exposure.
Still not convinced that participation in video sharing outlets is important or relates to you? Here are just some of the many ways in which creating video can benefit you or your company:
1. Filming, editing, and uploading is free and easy to do (use a camera on a cellphone, a computer’s built in camera, or a digital camera)
2. Video content is a way to gain free exposure through social media. Brands constantly use sites like YouTube as a social media marketing strategy. Now, you can share videos to other social media outlets in just a few clicks of your mouse.
3. Gives brands and companies a way to interact with consumers on a more personal communicative level.
4. Comments/conversations from people is a way to see people’s opinions and gives a brand the opportunity to provide customer service.
5. There’s a possibility of a great return economically for your investment of time through advertising and by being approached by brands (see #7). Yet, this only applies if you publish engaging content. through advertising.
6. Tagging videos can help with SEO…muy importante people!
7. If you’re popular on YouTube, it is almost guaranteed that you will collaborate with companies. This means that you’ll make money, and they’ll gain a greater audience, which, in turn, results in lucrative benefits.
Now that you understand why video is so important in social media, think about these questions:
1) If YouTube is the present-day, accessible, go-to video outlet, what do you think is next for the video industry?
2) What strategies can video sharing sites use to further the integration of social media with video content?