Saturday, February 2, 2013

The future is here: Cloud Computing

     In the last few years a new technology has been emerging in the virtual world. Cloud computing may in fact be the future of the internet. Cloud technologies basically take a companies information and store it on online servers which makes it accessible from anywhere to anyone with an internet enabled device and a password. Although this may seem like a simple concept its changing the game and innovators who can use the cloud in new ways are flying ahead of the competition. Its first use was primarily for storage as seen in icloud services launched by Apple, dropbox, and CISCO cloud business solutions. although the cloud is a perfect tool for storage is power and worth lies elsewhere.
     Cloud technologies have made turned collaboration from a process that was difficult and needed a lot of workarounds online, to a beautiful and powerful collaboration platform. When Google launched its Google apps suite the game was changed. The suite features an array of cloud based apps that all are focused around collaboration made easy. The suite's premium version was a perfect solution for large businesses, colleges, and small businesses alike giving the power of easy collaboration through documents, calendars  and other project based programs to its subscribers. one of the most important things that set Google apart from other cloud services was that although they introduced a very user friendly interface for their products they didn't forget the clouds roots in storage and added that in. Most companies traditionally give their employees about 500 megabytes of storage space in email and other programs. With the Google apps suite users get  25 gigabytes of storage space on email alone. That number is increased with every program a business uses in the suite.
   So if super easy collaboration and a solid amount of storage wasn't enough Google just kept going. The whole suite is browser based so no software download is required. This makes the service completely compatible on virtually any device with a web browser and internet connection.
     Google isn't the only company switching from traditional products to cloud based products. Adobe released its CS6 suite as a cloud based subscription service allowing users to access the whole suite by downloading whatever program they wanted. The cloud based service also frees up space on user's hard drives by hosting the the whole suite in the cloud.
     So i guess the question becomes what is next for the cloud? In addition to that how will the cloud affect the hospitality industry? 


7 comments:

  1. Cloud technology has already affected my hotel/hospitality work. I know our front desk struggled with being able to access information (excel spreadsheets and documents) from various computers at the front desk. Being limited to only use one computer to update information isn’t realistic.

    I think Cloud technology is necessary for our work generation today.

    We are so used to working from home, transit, school, and ext. that it is necessary for us to be able to access information from anywhere. I think Cloud technology is definitely under-utilized however. I believe as leaders of the hospitality industry and leaders in our generation we ought to be showing older generations the benefits (time) of technology such as Cloud.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Evan in that Cloud technology is necessary for our work generation today. Today in class though I questioned that because why would we put our information on a internet based platform that could be exposed? To what extent can we trust the cloud?
    I think the cloud is a brilliant idea for people like me. I can access my documents and pictures anywhere at anytime (with internet access). But my information is not something I'm worried about anyone trying to hack into. Unless I suddenly become a target for the government... Anyways, I like to stand by the saying, don't put anything on the internet that you want to keep private.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been using the Dropbox more often since the social media course began. I realize it is so much efficient and effective. At first, I was afraid that I will lose some files in the cloud but after awhile I started not to use or carry the USB with me anymore. The files is at anywhere at anytime.

    I absolutely agree with Evan that cloud technology is critical for hospitality industry because I think it is cost effective and competitive advantage to serve customers quicker when you get info from the cloud technology. However, my main concern is keeping the credit cards' info in the cloud technology that any hackers can break into.

    Here is an article about the cloud technology: http://www.hospitalitynet.org/news/4051622.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cloud computing is clearly the future of technology. With cloud computing, people can access files from any computer, store large files instantaneously, it allows others access to files, stores offsite backups, and can provide data center functions. The cloud is where the future of technology is headed. In the future, all companies will be using cloud technology, more mobile devices will have a cloud storage option, and security features on the cloud will be enhanced.

    The hospitality industry will benefit from cloud technology as it is a faster way to get information on file about customers. Less wait time = happy customers!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think that though cloud computing will play a major role in the future in technology, its possible success can go further if its main issue is addressed. That issue is its fallibility with security. Cloud computing is, I think, a convenient and necessary innovation, but it is very susceptible to hackers making all who uses it vulnerable. I'm not much of a computer wiz, so I don't even know if what I'm suggesting is possible. I do know, however, that if it is to make cloud computing more secure it would definitely cause a turn for the better in technology in general.

    The hospitality industry will benefit from cloud technology exponentially because it allows for instant access of important information needed for any given situation. However, common sense would say that they back up their files for security purposes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think that cloud computing is the next big thing for technology. However, many issues could stem from this. Hotels and bookkeepers can keep everything on an online database. Some issues that one could run into would be the amount of space, can someone run out of space on the cloud? What if the cloud ever crashes? I think that the concept of cloud computing is awesome and one will not lose everything if a hard drive goes bad. Also, being able to access information from anywhere helps too with the large increase of people who do work from their cell phone, tablet, or laptop on the go.

    Cloud computing would help the hospitality industry because a manager could access any information if he has multiple hotels in different countries and information on different sources, one could still access it all.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think that cloud computing is a great tool to use but there are some factors in using cloud technology as such as lack of security and run out of storage space on the cloud. If cloud tightens on security, I believe more companies will feel more safe to rely on this cloud technology. I think it's a great tool to use but what if we happen to forget our password or someone hacks in, is there a way to fix it? I really like using cloud technology as such as DropBox, it gives me some sense of peace on not losing my USB because it is stored online but I never store anything personal on DropBox.

    I wonder what cloud technology turn into ten years from now.

    ReplyDelete