Social gaming commonly refers to playing games as a way of social interaction, as opposed to playing games in solitude. It is the activity or practice of playing an online game on a social media platform: It may refer to:
• Card games that involve multiple players
• Social network game, games that have social network integration or elements
• Board games, in which counters or pieces are placed, removed, or moved on a premarked surface according to a set of rules
• Multiplayer video games, where more than one person can play in the same game environment at the same time
• MMO (as well as MMORPG and MMORTS)
• LAN party, a temporary gathering of people establishing a local area network (LAN), primarily for the purpose of playing multiplayer computer games
• Role-playing games, a game in which players assume the roles of characters in a fictional setting
• Live action role-playing games, a form of role-playing game where the participants physically act out their characters' actions
• Miniature wargaming, a form of wargaming that incorporates miniature figures, miniature armor and modeled terrain
Alternate reality games, an interactive narrative that offers a platform to explore possible situations and social interactions while avoiding real world consequences
In other words these are games played within social media applications such as facebook. Using virtually currency and centred around shared user experience the demographics defy traditional stereotypes as the average social gamer is a 43 year old woman.
Around 68.7 million Americans will be playing social games by 2012, according to analysis firm eMarketer. A number like that might seem unreal, but it makes perfect sense. There's something extraordinarily appealing about logging into Facebook or picking up your smartphone and instantly playing a game alongside countless other people across the world. Check out the other post on my blog so that you may learn more about social gaming.
What does Social Gaming mean to you? What are some of your favorite social games you like to play? Let me know in the comment section below.