Sunday, January 20, 2013

Smart Marketing with Smartphones


Photo taken from www.glamour.com/

You’re waiting in the car at the gas station. You’re bored at the doctor’s office. You’re waiting for your professor to arrive to class. You’re at a party that’s lame. What do you do? 

You do exactly what everyone else does. You reach for your phone. You check your Facebook notifications, then you check the weather for tomorrow, next you see who won the big game.The list goes on. Anything you used to do on your PC, you now have the capability of doing on your smartphone. 

There are currently 4 billion phones in use, of these 1.08 billion are smartphones. 

How many applications do you have on your smartphone? How many do you think the average person has? And, what does it take for you to download a free App or spend money to buy an App? 

According to an article written back in 2009 on CNN Money, Apple employs 40 individuals to approve Apps for the App Store. Every week, approximately 8,500 applications are submitted to this team for approval. As of September 2012, 650,000 Apps were available on the App Store. 

Photo taken from www.thebreakfast.com
So, now that you have downloaded the Twitter, Facebook, Yelp and GoogleMaps you only have 56 more to go to reach the number of Apps the average person has downloaded. 

Restaurants, movie theaters, television shows, airline carriers, travel agencies, banks and retail stores are all utilizing SMS advertising and mobile applications to generate leads, traffic and add new customers. 

But, why are companies investing billions of dollars into this new platform of advertising?

Companies understand the ROI on the mobile movement. Nine out of ten smartphone searches results in an action. For instance, going to Starbucks because FourSquare offered you a coupon or going to the movies because you watched a trailer on your Fandango App or trying a new restaurant because you saw great reviews on Yelp. 

What are your favorite Apps you have downloaded or purchased? Which Apps do you use on a daily basis? And, what companies do you think are leading the mobile movement? 

Check out this video for a better understanding of the mobile movement. 



 References:

Costello, S. (2012). How Many Apps Are in the iPhone App Store. Retrieved from http://ipod.about.com/od/iphonesoftwareterms/qt/apps-in-app-store.htm


Elmer-DeWitt, P. (2009). 40 staffers. 2 reviews. 8,500 iPhone apps per week. Retrieved from http://tech.fortune.cnn.com/2009/08/21/40-staffers-2-reviews-8500-iphone-apps-per-week

 Olenski, S. (2012). American Express Looks To Shake Up Mobile Advertising. Retrieved from http://www.forbes.com/sites/marketshare/2012/06/05/american-express-looks-to-shake-up-mobile-advertising/

 Perez, S. (2011). App-ocalypse. Retrieved from http://techcrunch.com/2011/12/18/app-ocalypse/ 

Pham, D. (2011). Smartphone user study shows mobile movement under way. Retrieved from http://googlemobileads.blogspot.com/2011/04/smartphone-user-study-shows-mobile.html



8 comments:

  1. Good post, Evan. 650,000 Apps available! I never knew that.Anyway, I can not tell you which apps I like best since I do not own a smart phone yet. For sure, I will purchase one after I finish the school. I think smart phone is a good tool for marketing.

    Awhile ago, I was reading an article about Martha Steward's new fan group. It said that 18-34 years old demographic of women view Martha Stewart content on smartphones grew to 168.3% in the last 6 months, compared with an increase of 14% for all internet users. Clearly, smartphones are good investment for the business.

    I think the internet users will decrease since smartphones gain beneficial and convenient to carry around.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome post about things we could almost call “natural instincts” that we use everyday! I use my phone whenever I feel as though I should be doing something, in an awkward scenario, or just waiting in line. My favorite apps are Twitter, CNN, and Instagram, which I almost always use on a daily basis. Using apps to advertise is very smart, especially when apps are free and use small advertisements in the corner to support the fees associated with the app. Apps that are leading the way in the mobile market are mostly social media apps (ie. Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, FourSquare, Google+). These companies are grabbing users to extend their social lives to digital worlds, simultaneously keeping up with current trends of the population always ready to cater to the “Next Big Thing”.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved this blog by Evan. There are two things that I would like to bring up. First I agree with Alex about Facebook and twitter and them being the leading companies today in apps. I would also add those sport apps that show you the score off all the games of the season. Every guy I know has that. The second is the question on whether or not this app thing is such a good thing. I don’t mean to sound like those all ladies that won’t use a computer and will use the yellow pages just because they don’t like change. But this weekend when we were in Toronto with a bunch of other RIT Students, the bus ride there and back while driving in Canada was a lot of fun. We were all talking, telling stories, laughing and singing. On our way back the second that we crossed the border into the American side meaning that we would be able to use our data on our phone the whole bus went silent and all you could see was the light on people phone screen. While technology is great and social media can really help i believe that it is taking away the person to person interaction and I personally don’t like it. There will be people at parties who will be talking to someone else on facebook or twitter or snapchat and totally ignore everyone around them.

    Call me old fashion but I need that people interaction I dont like staring at a screen all day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's interesting to read about how much people have become creatures of habit with their phones these days. I have even witnessed it between my friends and I when the conversation dies down and all of a sudden everyone has their phones out. What's also interesting is how fast mobile marketing has taken off because of peoples increasing dependence to their smartphones.

    However I don't think my phone could ever replace my laptop no matter how advanced the technology gets.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This was a very interesting post. It is surprising there are so many but at the same time it makes sense since there are apps for almost everything, from sports to fashion. There schools that have their own apps too. Whether or not it's good or bad, well I don't think there's a side to pick. Good thing is that they're face and easy to access but it takes away from personal interaction and it cannot replace computers.

    But it's funny to see people's faces buried in their phones playing Fruit Ninja, Angry Birds or looking at sport stats or strolling through tweets and Facebook posts.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think it's important for companies to invest in these apps. A few of my favorite apps I've downloaded include Myfitnesspal, Facebook, Twitter, and pinterest. I use these apps everyday for about an hour a day. I think my phone could easily replace my laptop. If they come out with some easier way to type I would use my phone to type up documents if I could!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's amazing but yet sad how smartphones affects social life. It's a great thing to have a smartphone and download the apps as such as Yelp, Urbanspoon, Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, and more. The reason why I said it's great because it helps the businesses grow because we are constantly on the apps checking out the new updates or retweeting the information. Reading the reviews. Read news on Facebook. Follow businesses on Instagram and see what they are up to. But yet it's a bad thing because it affects how people interact with each other because I remember in the 90's, people talk to each other in the line and in doctor offices. I remember playing with the kids in the public like doctor office while we are waiting on our turn. Teenagers go out more often and interact with each other but nowadays, teenagers are glued to their phones and sending texts nonstop. They prefer talk to people on the phone than in person. Smartphones makes personal interaction more awkward nowadays because we are so used to being open and sharing information through texts because people don't see our facial expression and we feel more safe sharing information that way. Apps are great but they take away a lot of our free time while we should be doing something else like working out, play outside, go out with a group of friends, or so. Smartphones with apps has pros and cons. I wonder what future will be like when there's more technology developed.

    ReplyDelete