Wednesday, March 20, 2013

We Have Good Reasons to Become Facebook Addict, Psychologists Said

“Yes, yes, I know. I should have stopped, but please just let me finish posting this update …” God knows how difficult it becomes these days to get people’s attention away from Facebook or just any social media platforms. People are tempted to check news feeds and updates.  

Let me ask you another question: When was the last time you checked your Facebook? Was it just a minute ago before you put down your cell phone? Or right in this moment while you are trying to share my discussion on Facebook? For a long time, Facebook has become the most visited website in the U.S. (3rd place in the world) and the website on which Americans spend the most time. There must be a good reason why people can’t have enough with Facebook.

According to recent report on Monitor on Psychology: A Publication of The American Psychological Association, Facebook indeed has the “magic” to satisfy people’s need for connectedness and self-promotion, boost people’s self-esteem, and help people maintain offline relationship. If people feel lonely and disconnected, they can find comfort on Facebook. If they are not feeling lonely, they can also go to Facebook to maintain their social connections. So, Facebook attracts people, regardless how lonely or social people feel.

Research evidence also shows that people who look at their own Facebook page for as little as three minutes can show a significant increase of self-esteem as compared to the control groups who either look at themselves in a mirror or simply wait in a room for three minutes. It is believed that the “Photoshopped version” of people themselves have a positive effect on their self-esteem.

Facebook can also be considered as a means to build a person’s social capital. Because of Facebook, people can now access the updates of their friends, which they would not be able to do otherwise, and thus, have fewer chances of missing out a story or sometimes, a job opportunity.

Is that so? What is your reason of using Facebook? Do you think Facebook help you boost your self-esteem? Does Facebook or social media in general allow you to maintain a closer relationship with your friends and family? Furthermore, are you addicted to Facebook or social media in one way or another? Or do you know anyone who is addicted to Facebook or another social media tool? Please feel free share your stories with us.  

References:
Winerman, Lea (2013, March). What draws us to Facebook? Psychologists and communication researchers are studying how Facebook so successfully lures us in. Monitor on Psychology: A Publication of The American Psychological Association, 44(3), 56-58.
The picture was downloaded from the Joking Cobra Blog

3 comments:

  1. Before there was FB, people stayed connected by simply using their talking minutes or text messages on their mobile phone. Now, you can like someone’s status or picture, comment on someone’s wall and update your status, and you will still be connected. I use FB to share my photos that display my traveling adventures. Usually, people live vicariously through my photo, which in some way boosts my self-esteem because not many can travel. When my friends see my pictures they comment on them and commend me for being brave for traveling places that brought me outside of my comfort zone.

    Facebook does allow for me to stay connected and maintain a closer relationship with my family in friends, especially my family. Being a student away from home, FB has allowed for me to constantly stay connected with my family. A week ago, was my niece’s first birthday and although I wasn’t able to make it, I still felt like I was there, just buy skimming through the images posted on FB. I am not addicted to FB because I can go without it for days or weeks, but I do admit that I do check out FB more than the average user.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The main reason why I use Facebook is to stay connected with my friends and family. Since I am a student away from home, facebook is a great way to keep in contact with my parents, aunts, uncles, siblings, and grandparents. I am able to see their pictures of what they are up to, and they can do the same for me. I also use facebook to see what everyone is up to in their lives. My home friends always make status updates, which keeps me involved in their lives even though we are all far apart. I don't use Facebook as a self-esteem booster, but I'm sure it has an impact on my life in that sense.

    Addicted isn't the correct word for me and Facebook, but its close. I do check Facebook daily, if not hourly. But there are times when I am away on vacation that I do not check Facebook for days, sometimes weeks. I like to use Facebook mostly for keeping updated on my friends lives, and check out pictures of my Facebook friends and see what they are up to as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very interesting comment regarding "It is believed that the Photoshopped version of people themselves have a positive effect on their self-esteem."
    From my experience FB can be harmful and addictive. I may suggest a free eBook on the topic: http://curefacebookaddiction.com which is free to download. I think it could benefit your readers. Feel free to remove the link if not. Cheers! Tal

    ReplyDelete